Across the nation, AFSCME women are leading the charge to create change for working families. Women leaders know that to build a strong union of committed members we must actively connect with our co-workers one conversation at a time. In addition, we must increase participation in the PEOPLE program to advocate for political candidates that care about the middle class. As a part of these efforts, we must look to the future and foster the emergence of new leadership.
That’s why we are excited to announce the 2016 AFSCME Women’s Leadership Academy, being held from August 2016 through March 2017. The Academy, designed for women officers or activists at the local union level, prepares AFSCME women for future leadership roles in our union. Below are the requirements for participation in the Academy and a web address for the Academy application.
This eight-month Academy will include:
• A five-day orientation session in August 2016 and a three-day closing session in March 2017.
• Completion of a local or council campaign or project.
• Frequent contact through social media and webinars.
• Mentoring from an experienced AFSCME union leader.
The national union will pay costs for travel, overnight accommodations (double occupancy), and meals for all formal sessions. Participants or affiliates are expected to cover any release time or lost wages.
Applicants must demonstrate:
• Commitment to our 2016 priorities and to build AFSCME during the next five years.
• Engagement in activities supporting AFSCME’s 2016 priorities, for example: organizing new members or increasing member involvement and political action/PEOPLE recruitment.
• Support from their AFSCME council or affiliate and local.
• Complete the online application at http://www.afscme.org/wla by March 15, 2016.
• Submit two letters of recommendation, one from the council/affiliate director or their designee and one from the local president by March 15, 2016.
• Email letters of recommendation to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 202.429.5088 to Sherri Dance in the AFSCME Education and Leadership Training department.
• Following review of application, selected applicants will be notified by Friday, May 27, 2016.
We hope you take advantage of this powerful opportunity to help build our union by applying to the 2016 Women’s Leadership Academy.